Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sine to square wave converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack// ani

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
opamp sine to square wave converter

Hi all,

How can I convert 50Hz AC to a square wave so that I can feed it to a microcontroller? Will CD4093 work here? I will steps down the ac to 5volts then use a diode in series before hooking it to CD4093?

Thanks

squarewave from 50hz ac

Use a magnitude of about 50V for the sin-wave. Than use a 5V Zener Ref, or seven normal diodes in serie. Of course you have to use a resistor in front of the diode(s).
The higher the ampl. the sharper the square wave.

If you need a more precise method I would use a simple comparator!

sine square optocoupler

Jack// ani said:
Hi all,

How can I convert 50Hz AC to a square wave so that I can feed it to a microcontroller? Will CD4093 work here? I will steps down the ac to 5volts then use a diode in series before hooking it to CD4093?

Thanks
Using a diode will give a voltage drop and especially after a step down this drop could be significant and you may not be able to get the exact square wave you desire.
Best option would be to go for a comparator. You can conveniently get a 5V logic signal reqd for the microcontroller.

sin to square opto cuppelar

Hello all.
I think there is another solution that could also be used.

1- High ohmic resitor R1 or very low value capacitor C1(capacitor allows you to have no power dissipation) from your source node (1) to node (2).

2- From node (2) one diode D1 to Vcc node (3), anode connected to node (2).

3-From node (2) another diode D2 to ground node (0), cathode connected to node (2).

4- If needed you can use an extra diode D3 from node (2) to node (4), the output of the squared wave. From node (4) a resistor R2 of low value 1k or 10k to ground (0).

The last 2 components D3 and R2 just to subtract one diode voltage drop so that the amplitude will be equal to Vcc.

This solution should be independent of the Vcc value and also from Zener references. Also, this solution requires no active device.

Hope it helps.
Greetings.
S.

op-amp square wave converter

Jack// ani said:
Hi all,

Thanks

1) Use a step down transformer to step it down to say 5V AC at 50Hz.

2) Then use a 741 op-amp from national semiconductor. Connect +5V as +Vdd to the op-amp and ground the -Vdd terminal. Now feed in the +5V AC, 50Hz voltage to the opamp and u will see that the op-amp will output a square wave whose amplitude will be 5V and frequency will be 50Hz.

If I have helped you could you please kindly help me by clicking the helped me button for me!

thanks

have a nice day!

op-amp as sine-to-square wave converter

v_naren said:
1) Use a step down transformer to step it down to say 5V AC at 50Hz.

2) Then use a 741 op-amp from national semiconductor. Connect +5V as +Vdd to the op-amp and ground the -Vdd terminal. Now feed in the +5V AC, 50Hz voltage to the opamp and u will see that the op-amp will output a square wave whose amplitude will be 5V and frequency will be 50Hz.

If I have helped you could you please kindly help me by clicking the helped me button for me!

thanks

have a nice day!

This will work but this is assuming that you want a square wave with 50 Hz frequency and 50% on time. If you want less than 50% then you will have to take a corresponding DC value at -Vdd terminal and not zero.

op-amp sine-to-square wave converter

1 Silicon Diode + 1 Resistor + 1 Digital Output optocoupler.

From secondary AC > Silicon diode > Resistor > LED inside optocoupler > Back to secondary AC.

The LED inside the optocoupler will pulse at 50 Hz. The value of the resitor
depends on the secondary AC voltage and the current going through the LED
inside the optocoupler. (10 mA is OK for the LED inside the PC900V optocoupler).
The output of the Digital optocoupler will be TTL.

PC900V Digital Output optocoupler:
http://www.simandl.cz/stranky/elektro/fastsci/soubory/pc900v.pdf

sine to square wave convertor

Hi,

This topic was addressed with many other users and companies.
Here is a link that explaines how to connect and convert the AC line...
**broken link removed**
You need only the first stage...

Also have a look at this:
**broken link removed**
Here they showed how to use the power line as an OSC for a RTC ( Real time clock ).

If you found my answer useful, click on the button that says Helped me. ( NO points will be taken from you! )

Good luck.

op amp sine-to-square wave converter

Hi

Here is a link who will show you how to do that

h**p://www.wenzel.com/documents/waveform.html

All the best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.