Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simultaneous charging and discharging of battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aasimzee

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am confused how to charge battery from solar panel and supply load at the same time. let me tell you my problem. I am using using 80w solar panel with the maximum current 5A approximately. I have charge controller which is supplying 12 volts to battery and load of 1A is connected across battery. My question is that if charge control is giving 5A ,will it divide like 4A ti battery and 1A to load or battery will behave as a short and whole current will go to load??
I have seen laptop charger it continiously charges and discharges.
Suggest a solution if i am doing anything wrong?

In this case 4 Ampere goes to your battery charging and 1 Ampere goes to your load.
Since the load is presumably stable, it will not start using 5 times as much power when the battery is being charged, it might however use slightly more power since the charging voltage might be higher then the standard battery voltage.
But still the mayority of charge should go to your battery.

the problem that this sometimes gives is as above, that the charging voltage for some batteries can be too high, because generally in charging, the batt charger is current regulated......and so the voltage isnt kept to a level....but just finds its level....if that level is ok for your downstream cctry then fine, otherwise you just need another regulator after the battery going to the load.

Standard situation in UPS with battery trickle charge. Constant current/constant voltage charge with 13.8 V charge end. Any usual 12V equipment will be fine with this voltage level.

The simple circuit, battery in parallel to load, is suitable as long as the battery can accept the full solar panel current.

i am keeping voltage below 13.6 using charge controller. i hope 13.6 will be fine with 12 load bcoz fully charged battery has around 14v and 12 v loads work fine with it.

Standard situation in UPS with battery trickle charge. Constant current/constant voltage charge with 13.8 V charge end. Any usual 12V equipment will be fine with this voltage level.

The simple circuit, battery in parallel to load, is suitable as long as the battery can accept the full solar panel current.

Right, I am using charge controller and battery can withstand current from panel. so that means i wont have problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back