Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simulation of rf fields (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonix

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to integrate a 2.4GHz part inside a metallic case (imagine that it is a ring that is closed top and bottom, with the HF module inside).
But dont want a external antenna (there should be no external rod that one can break). Instead I want to add a non metallic ring or some holes, like this is done with waveguide antennas.
How can I calculate or simulate this? Is there a simple software available with that I (a newbe in the field of HF modelling) can simulate RF fields and antennas? (I only need 1-2 metres range with 4dBm at 2.4GHz).

thx

leonix

In my opinion, the best is to do a prototype. Put the radio in the box and see if you can get the connection.
At this frequency, and at this distance you can have a lot of parasitic resonance’s that can help you.

Yes this is true, but playing with the geometrics in a model would be much more effective than doing it blind in hardware. You could get a idea what to do and what to avoid. (experimenting with spice is also much better than bread boarding). Only some finetuning is needed then in hardware.

E.g. If I am near than 1/4 lambda to a wall I probably have a big attenuation.
Exactely 1/4 Lambda would be best I think, but how does other metallic parts influence this (and the other walls inside the ring).

Leo

Try NEC (Numeric Electromagnetic Code). I guess there are some old versions which are free. Just need to take some time to learn it. It is pretty good for analyzing antenna structures.

Go to <http://www.si-list.org/swindex2.html> to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.