Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simulating a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

2M

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone

i want to Simulate a cryptoprocessor .
heres my questions :

1. whats the difference between simulating and synthesizing a design ?
2. For simlating this processor and for applying inputs and getting the waveform result ( in modelsim ) what should i do ?
3 . do i have to use FPGA , .... ?

thanks in advance and have a nice time

1. Simulation process of design verification Synthesizing process of transforming design from human understandable entry (VHDL, verilog, SC) to netlist

2. Write test bench, write test script

3. No

2M

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
simulating is just knowing how the design will function, with the help of waveforms that indicate the values of the design signals...

synthesizing means that you're converting the code you wrote in an hardware description language to logical gates to be implemented on the chip or the FPGA or whatever

for simulating a design, you need to make a test bench...it would make your life easier of course...although for a small design you can do everything manually if you want...it depends how much time you have and how good are you in writing testbenches

you don't need FPGA for simulation...you just need a simulator...you need the FPGA if you want to have your hardware implemented...seeing some lights and noise coming out :D

it all depends what you want to do with your design at the end...how far you want to take it...

good luck :D

2M

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi..I would like to know the difference between CPLD and FPGA...Someone pls help me....
NISHAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back