Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple solution for reading a voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

guysk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking for a simple solution to read a voltage (0-5V or 0-10V or so) and display it on seven segment LED's. I know that there used to be off the shelf chips that did similar functions (Intersil?) but I cannot seem to locate anything now. I know that I can simply use a PIC with A/D if need be, but, I am looking for the quickest and simplest solution.

Thanks in advance

the intersil chips are now at maxim's web site

the icl 7106,7106 and so on are still available as sample...
there are also some of these chips at texas instrument.

Hi,

The quickest solution is to use the Intersil chip pair
CA3162 & CA3161 pair. Please see attached pdf for
details.

panel meter

I believe it's cheaper to by 3.5 digit LCD panel meter than to build one. Prices at Conrad are low enough.

I have built a multimeter by harry's chips, they read voltages and drives 7 segments lcd display... dont' remember part number..

Bye!

sorry, harris is intersil now.... bye!

Volt meter IC

Another alternative is construct a module with a low cost microntroller (16f84) and a measure interface. Regards.

Usually I have the same problem when I build some test benches for the machinery.
The cheapest solution is to buy a digital voltmeter , disassembly the protective box and install it on the front panel.
So you have a already ready input attenuator and different measurement as needed ( voltmeter, ammeter, ecc )
If you need galvanic separation a 1W DC-DC converter is enough cheap ( credits to a greek friend of mine, S. Liodakis for the original idea ).
The cost of a digital voltmeter is actually about 10 Euro.

Mandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back