Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple gps gsm sstem questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapdash

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simple gps gsm question

hi all,

I'd like to know how the following gps/gsm module could function. It should be in a car, such that when ever the car moves into a "interest point", the gps module should alert in a certain way. Interest points are places on the central server which, when the gps module enters - it should alert. We would set the interest point co-ordinates ourselves.

This is how i think it would function

module made of:

- GPS module
- antenna connected to the gps module
- gsm module able to send gps co-ordinates every X time frame via gprs
- the module would need at least one output port in order to realise the alerts in either LED format or using beepers.

server consist of:

- ability to receive gps co-ordinates and compare against "interest points"
- ability to manually enter interest points co-ordinates
- ability to send alert back to gps module if an interest point is entered - it should also send the interest point code. i.e. interest point xyz

Questions...... :)

- am i right?
- how to make it simpler/cheaper?
- any recommendation for cheap GPS gsm modules? Simcom ones seem to be - good, but too "good" - almost over engineered for this application, when all i want is to send raw co-ordinates back and forth and let the server do most of the work.
- any licensed/free servers? (i.e. gps-trace.com) which could be used?

thanks.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.