Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM908 problem GPS antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diepvu1805

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am using SIM908 to get GPS.
In my design, I connect GPS-VANT-IN(pin76) with VBAT pin(i use the active antenna). Everything run well.
But today, I cann't not get GPS. I used mutilmeter to check voltage on GPS-ANT(pin 79), it present 0V(in common, it present approximate VBAT). That mean is the external antenna not power supply.
I think the GPS part of SIM908 is died, but I cann't explain because I still SIM908 to send SMS, call...
pls, help me.
Thank you,

Hi diepvu1805,

Did you use "AT+CGPSPWR=1" to power on the GPS on SIM908?

Normal profile on SIM908 have GPS module powered off.

Hi diepvu1805,

Did you use "AT+CGPSPWR=1" to power on the GPS on SIM908?

Normal profile on SIM908 have GPS module powered off.

Yes, I did. and I checked voltage present on GPS_VANT_OUT(pin75) is 2.8V. but GPS not work.

Pls use AT+CGPSRST=1, if it do not work, then your module in GPS is down.
In SIM908, GSM and GPS are different part. If GSM part do not down, it can send SMS, call....

I used AT+CGPSRST=1 to reset GPS, I still receive the data from SIM908 but data errors, it's not position.
I think GPS anttena not work because it hasn't power(GPS_ANT pin present 0V), but I haven't the solution to solve this problem.

It seems the GPS function is damaged, pls contact your vendor to repair it.
The guarantee is 1 year

FYI -> most of GPS modules or rather what we manufacture (28dB LNA + 3dBi Ceramic CP antenna) require a minimum of 3.3 ~ 3.5V for operation. Please do cross check on this and also check the datasheet from your vendor.

I do not have thorough knowledge on SIM908 module though.

FYI -> most of GPS modules or rather what we manufacture (28dB LNA + 3dBi Ceramic CP antenna) require a minimum of 3.3 ~ 3.5V for operation. Please do cross check on this and also check the datasheet from your vendor.

I do not have thorough knowledge on SIM908 module though.
As follow SIM908's datasheet(5.3):"If the antenna's is not 2.8V, a proper voltage be provide to the GPS-VANT-IN depending on the active antenna...". I am using the GPS antenna with voltage supply from 3 -5V, thus I connected GPS-VANT-IN pin to VBAT. The voltage GPS-VANT-IN rate didn't write in the SIM908's datasheet.
pls, suggest me the best solution. I should connect GPS-VANT-IN pin to 3.3V or VBAT(4,4 - 4.6V). They are ready voltage in my design.
Thank,

As follow SIM908's datasheet(5.3):"If the antenna's is not 2.8V, a proper voltage be provide to the GPS-VANT-IN depending on the active antenna...". I am using the GPS antenna with voltage supply from 3 -5V, thus I connected GPS-VANT-IN pin to VBAT. The voltage GPS-VANT-IN rate didn't write in the SIM908's datasheet.
pls, suggest me the best solution. I should connect GPS-VANT-IN pin to 3.3V or VBAT(4,4 - 4.6V). They are ready voltage in my design.
Thank,

Both of them are ok, I prefer 3.3V

I understand using a GSM Active antenna in SIM908 is not possible. is there anyway that I can fix a small amplifier before the GSM antenna so my weak GSM antenna signals are amplified?
I would so much appreciate..

Practically You can power it by typical 3.7 V also

Status
Not open for further replies.