Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM900 cannot detect/connect to carrier/network

Status
Not open for further replies.

M84AB1

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have now been trying for more than a week to get this GPRS Shield v1.0 module working but without luck. As the heading suggests the module is simply not able to see/detect my carrier. Carrier of question here is TPG (Optus network) in Australia, but my sim900 based module is not able to see any carrier other than VicTrack (50516). I will give you a run down of AT commands so am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

SIM Status

AT+CPIN?

+CPIN: READY

OK

Signal Strength (marginal)

AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 10,0

OK

Registration Status (not registered but is searching, UTRAN used as access technology)

AT+CREG?

+CREG: 2,2

OK

Mobile Operating Band (I have tried all of the available operating bands but only EGSM_DCS_MODE and DCS_MODE,ALL_BAND see to work)

AT+CBAND?

+CBAND: DCS_MODE,ALL_BAND

OK

Available carriers(no matter what I try this is the only carrier I see. I have gone through every available band by using AT+CBAND="" command and my module does not appear to see any other carrier, why is this!?!)

AT+cops=?

+COPS: (3,"","","50516"),,(0,1,4),(0,1,2)

OK

If anyone knows why my module only sees this one carrier and only accepts two bands (EGSM & DCS) please let me know. Maybe I am missing some additional config. Having said that the SIM card works as that is the card I use in day to day phone.

Have you set the access point name, using AT+CSTT ?

Hi ARQuattr,

thanks for the response. No I have not set the APN, as a matter of fact I have not even used that AT command yet. Am currently at work and will check it out when I get home. Having said that, I thought APN was relevant to tcp/ip data?

Maybe I am not aware of it, but how does it relate to SMS and standard calling using this GPRS Shield module?

Status
Not open for further replies.