Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any board to cable connector for 1G Diff signal?

aminpix

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My board has 3 pairs of differential signals and 1 pairs of clocks going to another board through a cable.
- The cable should be at least 20cm.
- The data rate is 1G from a xilinx FPGA (LVDS_25)

I am looking for an affordable connector for this board-to-cable connection. Any suggestion?

Can I use HDMI connector for this application, even if my signals are not TMDS?
Or can I use FFC/FPC connectors?

Last edited:
Can I use HDMI connector for this application, even if my signals are not TMDS?
Or can I use FFC/FPC connectors?
HDMI connectors and cables are well suited. FFC/FPC can be also used for GBit differential signals with respective layout.
1Gbps ethernet works well on CAT cables
Bit rate per pair is maximal 250 MBPS. Cable and connectors are not designed for GBit signals but should work on short distance.
--- Updated ---

If you focus on ready made cables, USB-C should be also considered.

Last edited:
As with any protocol, max speed depends on distance and modulation type for compression with equalization and/or pre-compensation. It will not be simple NRZ or bi-phase data.

https://www.diodes.com/assets/App-Note-Files/AN041-P.pdf?v=1

1707059669124.png

Impedance control may require SMD 1GHz Baluns to raise CMRR immunity from conducted CM SMPS noise between subsystems and shielding to lower impedance to 50 ohms single-ended or 100 Ohms differential.

Other info

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: