Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shunt measurement of CT measurement

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which the better option for accuracy and cost?

I have a charger board to EV. For measurement, I'd like to have good accuracy as well as cost.
So, in that case, should I go ahead for current measurement with CT or shunt measurement with resistor?

Hi,

I want to go on vacation. I want to go on an island. Good quality as well as cost. So in this case should I go by airplane or by ship?
This is not meant rude. I tried to give exatly the same informations for my vacation as you gave for your application.

Honestly:
Without any informations about quality, volume, cost, signal current, voltage, frequency range ....... how should we be able to give good feedback?

Give good information .. to get good feedback.

I´ve done applications for AC 2000V / 3000A: for sure I used a CT .. simply because of isolation. I could have used a simple CT, but I needed to use the one with "magnetic compensation" to also get DC residual information.

I´ve also done applications using resistors .. because of small size.

Klaus

We expect specs for current and BW with a budget. If you have none. A length of cable feed can be your shunt with an isolated chopper INA and shielded pair. For low ESL it can be a folded length of cable and try to get 1 mV resolution 20 dB SNR. For ease get a CT and compare. See if you can prevent the EMI interference in your properly biased INA sense STP cable with DC supplied on a connector. Then compare spectral density and accuracy.

Nothing is cheap or accurate until you have specs and tools to compare with experience. Make a test plan.

Last edited:
Some expressions in Morse code allow only the ones who know the subject to respond; 'weeding out' who do not or unsure. I do not know if CT is center tap, or charging transformer, or computerized tomography. Why some posters assume everyone receives their telepathy ? Is it that hard to type ?

I used the shunt method to measure 10kA
That´s impressive.
10kA is pulsed I guess.

What´s not clear. If there is 100uV@10A, then it´s 100mV@10kA, so 1kW of power dissipation. (plus all the wiring and connections around)
And copper has a rather huge thermal drift (temperature coefficient) ...

I guess I never had the idea to do 10kA measurement using a shunt. But seems to work.

Klaus

I do not know if CT is center tap, or charging transformer, or computerized tomography.
Wikipedia disambiguation also lists current transformer. The latest confusion about AC or DC measurement however substantiates your doubt. More likely the original poster is asking for a DC capable current transducer (hall sensor based). Better to tell unequivocally what you mean.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: