Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should the no. of bits in the numerator be always double the bit size of denominator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urslen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
should the no. of bits in the numerator of a division be always double the bit size of the denominator.

I am using std_logic_vector

Re: Divider regarding

I have heard of no such rule ..pls make some things clear to me , what are you trying to divide , what is the library that u are using ...does it have a generic division circuit ??? ... can u paste ur piece of code , In all probalities the error is being wrongly interpreted by u .

i am havin a prob when the numerator is smaller than the denominator. if i go for real numbers then it is not synthesizable. here is an example of wat i am tryin to do

(11*1100100*1111101000*1111101000) / (1100100*10*10100000*11)
can u sugeest how i go about this. i have tried some dividers but then i get an error sayin that divesion of powers of 2 is only possible. pls let me know how to go about it

It depends on the algorithm you use I believe that you are using SRT algorithm, sure in SRT algorithm the divisor must be larger than half of the nominator not smaller than half of it as you stated, this can be done with scaling. not only this there is an improved algrithm uses quoitent prediction that reuires a divisor that has an abslute value larger the 7/8 and smaller than 9/8, you will need to do scaling and normalization for this constraint.
I haven't seen anyone that uses SRT algorithms, so I recommend that you use the nonrestoring binary algorithm which is most commonly used in division, because it has a bit precesion per step this makes it suitable for most of DSP application and microprocessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back