Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shorting the TX1+ and TX2+, RX1+ and RX2+, TX1- and TX2-, RX1- and RX2- in USB C

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaisou11

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am working on a project where I need to send I2C or, Analog Data between two PCBs (main PCB and Sensor PCB) using the TX and RX pins of the USBC conntector. The main PCB has a battery charger which will take input voltage from the same USBC connector. I am not willing to use additional polarity checking IC with the USBC port. For the I2C and Analog signals I am planning to use the free pins that is TX and RX. To support the polarity manually, I would like to connect (short) the RX1+ with the RX2+, TX1+ with the TX2+, RX1- and RX2-, TX1- with TX2- on the PCB. So that even though the user flip the USB C cable, the connection will remain the same.

Please see the below image where the shorted connection is highlighted using the same color.

1631696371742.png

My question is, will there be a problem if I connect this port of the main PCB using an USB type C to type C cord with the computer or other devices for charging?

Hi,

using a standardized connector with non standardized signals is always at your own risk.
What you are trying to do is against standards.

Thus I surely can not recommend this.

What I don´t understand: Why do you want to short several pins. I see no reason for it.
Why not using a single wire for each signal?

Klaus

USB-C standard says related to alternate usage of the connector
Two requirements are specified in order to minimize risk of damage to the USB SuperSpeed transmitters and receivers in a USB host or device:
* When operating in an Alternate Mode and pin pairs A2, A3 (TX1) and B2, B3 (TX2) are used, these shall be AC coupled in or before the plug.
* Alternate Mode signals being received at the USB Type-C receptacle shall not exceed the value specified for VTX-DIFF-PP in Table 6-17 of the USB 3.1 specification
I'm not sure if shorting the SS pairs against each other inolves an additional risk of damage, I guess not, but the above constraints need to be considered in your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back