Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setup and measure of phase noise using spectrum analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmeiras

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

Could you, please, give me a suggestion about my setup to measure phase noise using direct spectrum measurement?
Oscillators are connected directly to spectrum analyzer in free-running operation.

I want to measure two circuits: (a) ring oscillator and (b) lc-tank circuit - shown in figure 1 and 2. The LC-tank circuit does not have tune voltage and it is not possible to change its capacitance.

1) We know that direct measurement is not the ideal way to measure in-close phase noise due to the frequency shift, but my LC-tank does not have tune voltage.

Does this setup work to properly measure PN for the lc-tank and ring oscillator?

I would say that it can work for lc-tank but not for the ring-oscillator. I'm not sure.

2) Phase noise is usually calculated using: Phase noise (f) = PSSB (f) - PS - 10 log (B) + C . where B is the resolution (RBW), PS = total carrier power and PSSB is 1 Hz one-side power density in offset frequency. Usually C is around 2.5 dB.

How can I estimate a more realistic value of C for my spectrum analyzer?
I dont know how to get this value.

Thank you very much for any comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back