Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Series and parallel connections between LEDs and a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielINC

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im not sure if im posting in the right spot but just correct me if im not.

I setup 3 leds with a 9v battery to light up something in my room, it worked fine until I bought a new 9v and put it in the holder. The lights were very bright for about 10-20 seconds, then two went out, then the third went out afew second later. They didnt work at all after that and im just wondering what went wrong. The LEDs required voltage is 3.3 so when I used a 9v battery with 3 LEDs then I thought that would split up 3 ways even, which I think it did but it seemed to still be to much voltage. If you need anymore information then just ask.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: LEDs stopped working

Did you put resistor between the source and LED? From my experience, very bright LED most likely occur when you connect the LED directly to the battery or power source. Put a 330Ohm resister between the battery and LED or 1kOhm. Higher resistance lower down the brightness of LED but makes your battery stays longer.

Did you put resistor between the source and LED? From my experience, very bright LED most likely occur when you connect the LED directly to the battery or power source. Put a 330Ohm resister between the battery and LED or 1kOhm. Higher resistance lower down the brightness of LED but makes your battery stays longer.

Thanks for your reply.

I do have 330Ohm resistors here so I will start using them more.
But still I would have thought that since they each need 3.3 and the battery is only 9v when I tested it with a multi meter that it would be fine. But im really just starting with small electronics so im learning as im going.

I ordered somemore Green LEDs so ill try the resistors when they get here.

Thanks for the help,
Daniel

You connect it in series or parallel? If you use the cheap LED ( the one with colour) then it wouldnt burnt but if you use the crystal type then you need to be a bit careful :)

You connect it in series or parallel? If you use the cheap LED ( the one with colour) then it wouldnt burnt but if you use the crystal type then you need to be a bit careful :)

I dont know if the way I have mine connected it an okay way but ill let you tell me if it is. Ill draw a picture showing how its setup.

The red parts are the solder points
2luuubl.png

Also here is the link to the LEDs I used:
5mm LED RL5-G16120 Specifications

So the way you connected it is parallel.

If you parallel it, you will supply 9V directly to the LED. If you series it, you will have about 3V drop across each LED :)

If you parallel it, you will supply 9V directly to the LED. If you series it, you will have about 3V drop across each LED :)

I used a resistor calculator and it said a 100Ohm Resistor. Does that sound good?

Yup it is. If you connect more than 5V, then it will burn :)

yours i think its colourless when no voltage. The green colour appears after you supply it to battery, rite?

Look at those with colour, those can stand up to 9V without resistor :) but not recommended ( you still need resistor there)

---------- Post added at 05:38 ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 ----------

Sure. As long as the resistor is there. The lower the resistance, the brighter the LED, the faster you need to change the battery.. hahaha :)

Yup it is. If you connect more than 5V, then it will burn :)

yours i think its colourless when no voltage. The green colour appears after you supply it to battery, rite?

Look at those with colour, those can stand up to 9V without resistor :) but not recommended ( you still need resistor there)

Yeah mine are clear. Also, how do you make a series with LEDs instead of parallel?

If your component is connected all to one node, the other side is all connected to the other node, then it is parallel

---------- Post added at 05:42 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

Series and Parallel Connections

If your component is connected all to one node, the other side is all connected to the other node, then it is parallel

---------- Post added at 05:42 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

Series and Parallel Connections

So one wire positive and one negative and put all the LEDs on those 2 wires alone instead of splitting up?

If you split the wires up, then you will get the circuit you draw right? That's how you determine is it parallel or series.. :)

If you split the wires up, then you will get the circuit you draw right? That's how you determine is it parallel or series.. :)

Yeah. Well ill try some stuff out with it in the morning and see what I can come up with. I will post my results or anymore problems I have on this thread.

Thanks for all your help,
Daniel

Remember to put resistor to each LED when you parallel it :)

Here is some extra stuff : Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)

Thats funny I was just coming to ask you one last question about resistors and you told me. I was coming to ask if I put resistors on each one or just the beginning of the circuit.

Thanks, and ill read that LED page.

Hello, I just wanted to make sure of something before I use more LEDs because I dont want to kill 3 more LEDs.

So anyone who has been reading this thread all the way through or if john blue is here.

I drew another picture of what I think the difference of parallel and series is, so just tell me if im right/wrong.

I just need to make sure I know what a series is so if im wrong just correct me and if you could show me how to make a series.

20kc805.png

Thanks, Daniel

1st and 2nd still parallel

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

No matter series or parallel put a resistor there. Then your LED will not burn

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

1st and 2nd still parallel

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

No matter series or parallel put a resistor there. Then your LED will not burn

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Okay I think I get it.

Thanks,
Daniel

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

One last question I have, do you have a picture for a series with three LEDs?

Thanks

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back