Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial port using HyperTerminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abu Ammora

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transmit square wave on serail port

I want to send commands to PC using serial port by HyperTerminal program of windows , but i don't know how can i exactly do that, so I want to test the operation by sending simply square wave and seeing if hyper terminal will read it as 1 0 1 0 ...etc, or not

So ,Can anyone tell me steps to do that

Thanks

inview hyperterminal

First make the hyper terminal connection and customize it by selecting Baud rate , no. of stop bits , parity etc. according to what u r using (it will open a sort of Dialogue Window to do so when u make the connection).
After this it will start receiving data frm Serial cable and display it .
IMP: MAKE SURE YOU TRANSMIT DATA IN ASCII CODE

After completion of session u can save the connection so dat u need not to make it again next time when u log in

Thanks tronix , but i don't know how can i transmit data in ascii code , All i want is to transmit signal like square wave.

Hi
hyperterminal is a software for transmiting text not wave form !!!

If you want to send commands to your pc using serial port, you must have a transmiter of RS232.
You can´t send a simply square wave and seeing in hyper terminal "1 0 1 0". These kind of communications have a Start bits, Data bits, Stop bits , parity ,etc. If you don´t send these bits to the serial port, the uart of your pc will ignore every wave you send it. And if you could emulate the start of communication, the data bits are limitated to the cfg of the uart.
So, if you want to make a serial communication and you don´t have an rs232 transmitter you can interconnect two pc´s with a null modem cable, open the hyper terminal in both pc, setup both with the same parameters, and send caracters from one to the other.

I have some documetation of serial communication & rs232, but they are in spanish version. If you want it, let me know.

Best R.
Guille

for testing hyperterminal u need to use RS232 transmitter like a programmed microcontroller which sends data. If you want to check your serial port then u can use loopback testing by connecting d type serial connector with rxd and txd pins shorted. so u can get what ever u send from ur pc. In such a case u don't need any external hard ware
bye

You should first choose the port you want to connect to.
Then You should look at ascii table to find out what keys should be pressed to produce desired waveform.

Good luck

Thanks all for your suggestions , but my problem is that i want to do that test in order to transmit data bet. 2 computers Wireless , I have RF TX and my RX is simply radio , i tested the link using function generator and OSC by sending square wave and it worked good , so What protocol shall i use with the computer serial port , Any suggestions ?

hi
you must use a interface circuit.
it can be a MCU.
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back