Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Serial communication through USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavithra89

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I need to establish a serial communication protocol to 8051 using USB. I have been successful in using rs232. Ive been searching on ingoogle to get some information but in vain.. :(
Please let me know all possible ways to get this done. Suggest me any books regarding this. Any suggestions are welcome.
Regards

Solutions are (USB to rs232 converters chips): FT232R, PL2303, CH341,...

Hi Other than converters? Is there any way?
Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for providing me link. It was very useful :)
Regards

Look into the MCP2200 USB to UART IC from Microchip. This chip and a 12 MHz resonator will convert USB to serial which should interface directly to the UART in your 8051. It also has up to 8 GPIO lines which I use for various functions in my designs (with RS232, I only had RTS and DTR to work with). I have just started using these with PICs and it requires no software changes on the PIC side. For about $5 in parts (chip, resonator, and connector), you get a USB to serial conversion that would allow all you legacy serial code to run unchanged.

Thank u :)
No. You have to use USB to Serial adapters only. It is designed for that purpose only.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok
Il start looking at google as to which variant to use..
Regards n thank u :)
Or use a 8051 variant with built-in USB interface, available e.g. from Atmel.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks alot Il take all your suggestion
Regards
Look into the MCP2200 USB to UART IC from Microchip. This chip and a 12 MHz resonator will convert USB to serial which should interface directly to the UART in your 8051. It also has up to 8 GPIO lines which I use for various functions in my designs (with RS232, I only had RTS and DTR to work with). I have just started using these with PICs and it requires no software changes on the PIC side. For about $5 in parts (chip, resonator, and connector), you get a USB to serial conversion that would allow all you legacy serial code to run unchanged.

Few years ago, I was using PL2303HXD as USB/UART bridge to DS89C450. On PC side it is CDC / virtual serial port, so standard Win32 API functions (ReadFile/WriteFile) can be used for communication. With DS89C450 on 32 MHz (8 MHz Quartz) it was able to transfer data at 2000000 bps, and overclocked to 40 MHz (10 Mhz Quartz) at 2500000 bps.

Status
Not open for further replies.