Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB serial communication with embedded hardware

cioppo

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good morning,
I would like to connect some embedded harware to my PC USB port.
For doing this I need a serial USB communication socket as a medium between the hardware and my PC.

Do you know some?

Thanks,
Davide

Hello !

As mentioned above, a USB / serial chip is one solution. But it depends on what you want to do. There are several USB profiles, Communication class(CDC), Human interface clas (HID), mass storage (MSC), and many others. And beside this, there are many processors with a USB interface embedded in it. If you choose such a processor, you don't need anything other than a few caps, resistors, possibly diodes. And each maker releases sample code to get started.
I use mostly Texas and STMicro, and both do release code, at least.
And they give examples, not for all the existing classes because there are many, but at least for a few of the mostly used classes, CDC, MSC, HID, to name the most used (from my point of view).

Good morning,
I would like to connect some embedded harware to my PC USB port.
For doing this I need a serial USB communication socket as a medium between the hardware and my PC.

Do you know some?

Thanks,
Davide

Dora.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: