Not open for further replies.

hardik.patel

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Friends,

I want to design wireless Device control using CC2500 Uart module.

For transmitter part, i am transmitting a string which must be visible at hyperterminal.
But its not as expected. H/w is ok as i had tested it with other i/o operation.

Before this i had tried this with 16Mhz n 11.0592Mhz but though not succeed then i had followed to the datasheet, n replaced the crystal with 7.3728Mhz but still problem continued.
Even i had tried to reduce/increase the all Baud rate in Flash Magic with (16,11.0592n 7.3728Mhz) so kindly correct me that where i am wrong.

MCU-Atmega8
Compiler - AVR GCC Programmer's Notepad
Xatal= 7.3728Mhz
Module i used for wireless -http://www.sunrom.com/p/rf-serial-data-link-uart-2-4-ghz
(To work with module its a later part)

Code as well as screen shot of Hyperterminal is attached.

Regards,
Hardik

- - - Updated - - -

I had connect Tx-rx(MCU pin) with PC (via Max232's rx-tx pin)..so there is not problem with any h/w connection, I think.

Attachments

• tx.rar
    84.6 KB · Views: 108
  • error12.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 153

Hi,

* a schematic could help
* and a scope picture of your signals where we can see timing and levels.
* and additional info to the scope picture like estimated baud rate and transmitted character.

Klaus

How is PIC interfaced to PC ? Using MAX232 and DB9 connector or using TTL2USB or RS232 to USB adapter and USB port of PC ?

If interfaced to COMx port of PC using RS232 then have you set the proper baudrate for your COMx port in Device Manager > COMx port properties ?

@milan,

1) I am using Atmega8 not PIC
2) Atmega8 interfaced to comport1 via Max232 n DB9 Connector
3) Also configured COMx Properties well as you can see in picture.
4) Also i had tested comport connection using loopback testing method that i can see whatever i typed in i/p on o/p at a flash magic's terminal window.

Attachments

• comport.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

4) Also i had tested comport connection using loopback testing method that i can see whatever i typed in i/p on o/p at a flash magic's terminal window.

In Flash Magic have you set baudrate to 9600 bps and did the loopback test ? If yes, did you get the proper output (echo) ?

In Flash Magic have you set baudrate to 9600 bps and did the loopback test ? If yes, did you get the proper output (echo) ?

............Yes

- - - Updated - - -

@milan,

Code is ok??

Code is correct. Maybe F_CPU has to be declared. I am not sure.

Try this code. I have tested this in Proteus and it works fine. I have used AVR Studio 4.18 and WinAVRGCC.

Code C - [expand]
#define F_CPU 7372800

#include<avr/io.h>
#include <util/delay.h>

void UART_Init(unsigned int baudrate) {

unsigned int baudPrescale = 0;

baudPrescale = (((F_CPU / (baudrate * 16UL))) - 1);

UBRRL = baudPrescale;
    UBRRH = (baudPrescale >> 8); 
    UCSRC = (1<<URSEL) | (1<<UCSZ1) | (1<<UCSZ0);  
    UCSRB = ((1<<TXEN)|(1<<RXEN) | (1<<RXCIE));
}

void UART_Write(char data) {
    while(!(UCSRA & (1<<UDRE)));
    UDR = data;
}

void UART_Write_Text(char *data) {
    while(*data) {
        UART_Write(*data++);
    }   
}

int main(void) {

DDRB = 0xFF;
    DDRC = 0xFF;
    DDRD = 0xFF;

UART_Init(9600);
    _delay_ms(200);

while(1) {

UART_Write_Text("ATMega8 UART\r\n");
        _delay_ms(1000);
    }   
}

broken link removed

Attachments

• UART.rar
    47.8 KB · Views: 93
  • uart.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
I had compiled your given code with AVR-GCC notepad but proteous result not as per your picture shown.

Even i had fed your .hex to proteous file....still its not as per picture, garbage character shown.
I had attached my proteous n gcc folder here....simulate it.

- - - Updated - - -

is there need to set fuse bits for this task??....because i dont had idea about it. N even not set so far in past.

Attachments

• milan_serial.rar
    69 KB · Views: 90

Your code is correct. The problem is with your Proteus settings. Don't use crystal in Proteus. It doesn't generate clock. It is a dummy model. Instead set clock frequency in Edit Properties dialog of MCU in Proteus. See images for settings. I don't have Proteus 7.x. I imported your Proteus file in Proteus 8.2 SP2 and after setting the clock frequency and WDT settings properly it worked. See image.

broken link removed

Attachments

• uart.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 166
  • uart1 settings.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 153
  • milan_serial proteus settings fixed.rar
    163.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok....after followed your suggestion i got same result in proteous.

Now for h/w what should i need to change?
(for fuse bits, external clock freq)

does anything required those??

I have used external clock frequency that is crystal of 7.3728 MHz. Use the exact crystal or use easily available 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 MHz Crystal and change F_CPU value in code and compile. I don't know whether you had enabled the WDT or not. I simply disabled WDT in Proteus. If you enable WDT then you have to make sure it is cleared properly in code. I don't have the IDE you are using. What fuse bits your fuse bits setting windows show ?

Even i using same 7.3728 crystal for h/w also.
N does there is necessary to enable/disable WDT ??

I am using Win-avr GCC compiler. N i dont know that how to set fuse bits using AVRGCC.

I am showing you an example of setting fuses. I have used mikroE's AVR Flash tool. You have to do similar fuse settings in your Compiler's IDE or Programming software.

Attachments

• fuse bits.png
    29 KB · Views: 111
Hi,

I have used external clock frequency that is crystal of 7.3728 MHz.

AFAIK there are two different settings for:
* crystal and
* external clock.

If you use an external crystal oscillator (with VCC and GND connection) then choose "external clock"
If you use a passive crystal with two capacitors and a resistor then use "crystal"

Klaus

@Klauss..
here i upload two pictures, from that kindly tell me for this task which fuse bits i need to set?

in s/w does i need to set fuse bits or while i programmed the chip??

n does this error that i cant getting same result as proteous on h/w is due to that??

- - - Updated - - -

@to all

If i not set the fuse bits....is this the cause of not getting proper o/p on hyperterminal in my case??

Attachments

• fuse1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 118
  • fuse2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Hi,

read datasheet chapter 8.2

use "External Crystal/Ceramic Resonator"

If you don´t have a battery poweredapplicatio then I recommend to program (=0) CKOPT.

Klaus

In my appliaction the MCU will be provided a Power supplied from the DC Source.
N i using External Crystal 7.3728Mhz

Hi,

If i not set the fuse bits....is this the cause of not getting proper o/p on hyperterminal in my case??
for sure it makes a difference wether the clock is internal 1MHz or crystal 7.3728MHz...
Baudrate depends on this clock frequency.

Klaus

i had also read that topic in Datasheet of Atmega8, but not clear understand that how to set fuse bits??
wheather in s/w or while chip programming?

Hi,

Chaper 23.6:
Note that the fuses cannot be changed by the MCU itself.
This means: not per s/w, but programming.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.