Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self Programming MCU from external eeprom

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivs

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dspic external eeprom

I think I may be searching for the wrong terms for this problem, never the less I cannot find any data on it.

Basically I was wondering if there is any documentation on "self-programming" microcontrollers. The example that I am using is that I want to be able to program a MCU (I'm using a dspic at the moment) over a communication line (lets say Ethernet, but this could be uart or spi, etc...). A host device would send the firmware over the communication line to the slave device which would store it in an external storage device (ex : external eeprom). Once the firmware was sent, the slave device would reset/boot into a special block of code which would read the external eeprom data and program itself. Once the slave has programmed itself, it would reboot into the newly installed code.

Is there any examples/documentation on this?

Thanks.

dspic self programming ethernet

What you want is a "boot loader". You can search the Microchip web site for example code. They have an application note specifically for the dsPic family -
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.