Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting an appropriate transformer to power flyback transformer/ignition coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
According to tesla coil design, people favour NSTs because they have magnetic shunts that limit the current that can be drawn from them.

So what if I was to power my flyback transformer driver from a main transformer rather than stuffing around with heavy car batteries.

I would need a transformer that is limited to perhaps 15-20 amps to be safe and delivers some where around 30-50V.

I have looked into this at jaycar from time to time but it is a little hard to tell which types of transformers would be appropriate for this application.

Can some one get me started on some bands/types of current limited transformers to look for.

The traditional way of getting a current limiting transformer is to include an air gap, to get a high leakage inductance. I wonder if you get a load of ballasts for florescent lights (loads to match the power).
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back