Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting a good digital oscilloscope and logic analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alireza

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
osilliscope

Hi Guys,
we intend to purchase a new digital osilloscope and 34 ch-logic analyzer.
we have designated
"TDS5052 2-ch 500 Mhz osilliscope and TLA5201 34-ch 235 Mhz logic analyzer from tektronix" and

"54830B 2-ch 600 Mhz osilliscope(infinium series), DSO6052A 2-ch 500 Mhz and 1683A 34-ch 200 Mhz logic analyzer" from Agilent.

I have read related data sheets of all mentioned above equipment but it is really
a difficult job to make a decision to purchase as they have many features,some of them are known and many other are unknown(and maybe useful or unuseful)

In this regard,I need your techincal advice for following questions:

1)between Agilent and Tektronix which one gives generally a better quality and price/performance?

2)for designs with 300 or 400 Mhz clock frequency a digital osilliscope with bandwidth of 500Mhz and sampling rate of 4 or 5 GS/sec will suffice or( like old osilliscopes) a bandwidth of 3 times at least greater than maximum frequency is needed?

3)for Signal integrity analysis which osilliscope gives better tools like eye diagram ,...?

4)as main charactristics of logic analyzer they have one maximum state frequency e.g 200Mhz and timing frequency e.g 800Mhz,which one is more important for logic evaluation?

I appreciate your help in advance. :roll:

good digital oscilloscope

From my experiance I think I can answer only 2)

When I designed with 60MHz SDRAM clock.

Agilent 54624A 100MHz 200Msa/s with probe 10074C 150MHz could see 60MHz signal only in SINE wave.

Tek TDS754C 500MHz 2GS/s could see 60MHz signal in SQUARE wave

So I think if you have to deal with 300MHz clock signal, oscilloscope bandwith 500MHz should be NOT enough. I see that tek recommend 5 times rule for oscilloscope bandwidth required, see link.

https://www.tek.com/Measurement/scopes/selection/pdf/55W_13768_2.pdf

prd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back