Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SD card USB Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christophe_work

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sd to usb chip

Hi,

I'm planning to make a USB SD Cardreader.

Does anybody know what kind of chip is (mostly) inside those cardreaders?
Do you know any brands of those chips?
Anyone did such a project before?

best regards

sd card fpga

I think that FTDI has an app note about that check out their site

sd to usb controller

You cannot use SD card in your project, reading and writing data has some security issues. without registering to the company, and paying royalty no one can do that.
Nor you will get any information on how to read and write data from/to SD card.
I suggest you to work with MMC card rather than SD card.

regards
shivaram :D

Reactions: MRAMA

MRAMA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
simplified_physical_layer_spec

ckshivaram

complete SD card specification is available here :
**broken link removed**

one can simply develope an FPGA/microcontroller based application to write to SD card as well as read from it

i think it is better for u to study this beautiful page of Wiki regarding SD card

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

u will learn much about it there
MMC and SD are almost the same, no real difference

a big difference is between Sony Memory Stick modules and SD card, it is true that Sony does not give the specification of Memory Stick for free, u need to sign up and pay to receive it

At our company we have developed complete set of FPGA based hardware and library routines for writing to and reading from SD cards

Christophe_work
u will certainly be able to build it, it is not so difficult, the best solution: buy one of them and break it, and see what is going inside, usually it is needed to just make a similar circuit, there should be no need for any special programming skills.

the Flash-USB-controller chip there, uses all of the work

thanks

Reactions: MRAMA

MRAMA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sd card usb controller

Thanks for the information. I agree with you to some extent, Thou the link was of little use, doing a project using a available SD card in the market is difficult rather than fabricating from scratch and doing things. I tried doing with market available SD cards, when i searched for the application notes, or method to read and write from many companies, they did not give information about reading and writing information. I was told to buy license or pay royalty.
Your link / wikipedia is only for theoritical information. Not for project implementation or real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.