Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schmitt trigger eqn in Baker's book..correct or incorrect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitee00

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello designers,
I was trying to derive the equations for threshold values of a Schmitt trigger from the CMOS circuit design and layout book by Jacob Baker.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...ox-a&cd=8#v=onepage&q=schmitt trigger&f=false

However, on page 525, Equation 18.3, Baker assumes that the transistor M1 is in saturation when the Schmitt switches. But for M1 to be in saturation,

Vx > Vin-Vth1

or

Vx > Vx+Vth2-Vth1 (since Vin = Vx+Vth2 when M2 starts turning on)

or

Vth1 > Vth2

But due to body bias we know that Vth2 > Vth1. So is Baker's assumption incorrect or am I missing something.

Any insight would be great..

Thanks

I would want to know too, and also how to size M2 and M4 and why exactly this way. I mean that in the 1st edition it was M2 (M4) should be 5 times larger (or more) than M1 and M3 (M5 and M6), but now it becames M2 should be larger (a little, not 5 times) than M1 OR M3 ?? What is going on and what is the correct one ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back