Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic for dimming a 50W transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dimming a transformer

I would like to find schematics for dimming on the primary winding of an 50W transformer. It seems that halogen dimmer schematics would be suitable, but did not find any :-(

The transformer secondary is 1.5-3VAC, so it is hard to effectively dim on this side.

Re: dimming a transformer

Do you think that a normal bulb dimmer will not work for this purpose?
In the worst case an additional snubber will be needed.

batdin said:
Do you think that a normal bulb dimmer will not work for this purpose?
In the worst case an additional snubber will be needed.

It is not a good idea because of the varying inductive load. It can produce a DC component on the transformer and it can catch a fire.

Yet I have no idea how inductive the transformer is when it is loaded. But when empty, it is surely inductive.

One trick is to use a transformer with several voltage taps on the primary and switch between them. This will not produce a continuous range, but might have enough steps for your use.

If you cannot find one with the 3 V output you need, you can put a 1:1 transformer with primary and secondary taps in tandem on the primary side.

You can also use a "Variac" type autotransformer which has a continuous range. https://variac.com/staco_Variable_Transformer_Map.htm

Already tryed with a dimmer and a transformer:
bad results, the regulation is not linear and is going at steps instead than be smooth.
Some impruvements obtained applying in parallel the transformer a lamp or a resistor with the same power of the transformer.
A snubber ( at least in my case ) didn't help.

Mandi

dimming a transformer

Yes, a variac is an excellent solution if your application can accommodate the size and weight. Feed the variac output into your step-down transformer. Nice clean waveform, unlike a triac lamp dimmer.

flatulent said:
One trick is to use a transformer with several voltage
taps on the primary and switch between them. This will not produce a
continuous range, but might have enough steps for your use.
I thought of a sliding tap, but I'd like to use the existing transformer and
housing, only add a potmeter and a triac-based controller.

I could even program a microcontroller for this task if I'd know how to
control the triac.

Now this is funny.I have seen a dimmer connected on the primary side of the transformer of an unregulated DC power supply so that the output voltage can be adjusted.It worked fine even with such a strange load.Suppose you didn't try the right circuit.

I was doing a motor control speed last week and I found interesting info in to Applications Note, some of them are:
**broken link removed** in this one there are a ckts for solving your problem, I didn’t test it.
**broken link removed** in this one, you have a good theory and applications about triacs. I found it very useful.

Best regards

What do you think about circuits like this? They were taken from an Italian page.

dimming a transformer

Go here:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

dimming a transformer

You can try using an autotransformer.

bomba said:
I was doing a motor control speed last week and I found interesting info in to Applications Note, some of them are
Thanks for the useful info! I used the triggering method described in ST AN308, but as I found no schematic, I built my own controller.

It operates between 0-180 phase angles, and unlike a standard dimmer, sends a series of pulses after the set angle. The pulses are 100 usec long with a delay of 500 usec between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back