Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Same question. Two different results. Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bishshoy007

For this circuit given in the figure below :

new.png
(Click to Enlarge)

Given that the initial voltage \[v(0-) = 4 V\], find out \[{i }_{c }(t)\], i.e current through the capacitor for \[0^- < t < \infty\] .

I have tried out the sum in two ways. First, I found out a differential node equation in \[v(t)\], i.e

\[v'[t] + v[t] = \delta (t)-e^{-t}u(t)\]

and solve it to get :

\[ v(t) = \left(5e^{-t}-t e^{-t}\right)u(t)\],

where \[u(t)\] is the UnitStep function. Also the required initial conditions was obtained as \[v(0+) = 5 V\], which I believe is perfectly all right. Next to find out \[{i}_{c}(t)\], I use :

\[{i}_{c}(t) = C \frac{\mathrm{d} v(t) }{\mathrm{d} t } = 5\delta (t) - 6e^{-t}u(t) + t e^{-t}u(t) \]

Now in procedure 2, which was done by a friend of mine, he found out \[{i}_{c}(t)\] by writing

\[\delta (t)-e^{-t}u(t) = i_c(t)+i_R(t)\]

and
\[i_R(t)=\int _{0^-}^ti_c(t)dt+v(0-)\].

Combining both equations and transforming into the Laplace equivalent, he arrived at

\[I_c(s) = \frac{s^2-4s-4}{(s+1)^2} \]

whose inverse would be

\[i_c(t) = \delta (t) - 6e^{-t}u(t) + t e^{-t}u(t) \].

Here lies the problem. The coefficient of the delta functions do not match.

So the two answers are different. :-? Where is the mistake ? I have tried the problem several times from scratch but still I am unable to find it out and this problem is bugging my sleep for many days. Please help me. I repeat the problem is that in the answers the strengths of the delta functions or the coefficients of the delta functions are different.

Last edited:

alas, nobody there to help me out ! :-(
? ? ? Only one day. Are you...Anxious?

\[ v(t) = \left(5e^{-t}-t e^{-t}\right)u(t)\] isn't correct because v(0-) is 0 instead 4 and you derive u(t) at 0.

You should write something like this \[ v(t) = 4 u(-t) + \left(5e^{-t}-t e^{-t}\right)u(t)\]

whose derivative coincides with the other result.

Last edited:

? ? ? Only one day. Are you...Anxious?

\[ v(t) = \left(5e^{-t}-t e^{-t}\right)u(t)\] isn't correct because v(0-) is 0 instead 4 and you derive u(t) at 0.

You should write something like this \[ v(t) = 4 u(-t) + \left(5e^{-t}-t e^{-t}\right)u(t)\]

whose derivative coincides with the other result.

I cannot site the reason as to how we can write v(t) like that.
If I convert the circuit into Laplace domain and evaluate for \[V (s) = (5 s + 4)/(s + 1)^2\]
then I get \[v(t)=-e^{-t} (-5+t)u(t)\] which is same as that obtained from the differential equation.

- - - Updated - - -

Some further analysis shows that during laplace transform, we do both
L[u(t)] = 1/s
and
L[1] = 1/s

and hence the the inital voltage on the capacitor gets modeled as v(0-)/s whose inverse would be v(0-) u(t) ?? And hence in the inverse transform all information about t<0 is lost !

Can you point me in the right direction ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have used Mathematica to solve for

v'[t] + v[t] = DiracDelta[t] , given v[0-] = 4

and the output is

Exp[-t] (4 + u[t])

which correctly determines the value at t = 0- as 4 !

But the differential equation if solved by laplace transform, a little mathematics shows

V = 5/(s+1), whole inverse laplace mathematica gives as

v[t] = 5 Exp[-t] !!!

Somebody please help !

Eduardo is right. In 0+ you have a pulse to +5V, but starting from V(0-)=0 since you used u(t) that is 0 from 0- down to infinity

From the problem conditions, instead, in 0- you must have 4V, then the amplitude of the pulse is given by V(0+)-V(0-) = 5-4 = 1; this is the coefficient of the dirac pulse in 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back