Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S-parameters; reflexion factor and transmission factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroname

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I hawe a question regarding this to things.

well i know that s11,s22,..,sxx is representing the reflexion factor.
so we sayed that the reflection factor should be better than -10dB

and we sayed that the s12,s21 are representing the transmission factor which should be near 0dB to be the best.

well but i dont hawe a clue, if iam plotting in HFSS a modal solution Rectangular Plot of the s paramaters, how or what should i look at the plots.

So if iam plotting a s11 Plot the line should at the desired freq drop under -10dB. Or how?!

But if i plot the s12 or s13 parameters the line should be as near to 0dB as possible??! what if the line drops to lots say -11dB i think this is acceteble or??!

Maybe this question sounds stupid but iam confused... or can it maybe that i can plot with the s12 reflexion too???

What are the axes you are choosing? That should tell you want you are looking at. Usually a rectangular plot is complex sij vs. frequency. For sii or sjj you could use a rectangular plot but the more conventional and useful thing is to use a Smith chart.

In terms of interpretation, remember s-parameters are just N-ports akin to y-parameters, z-parameters or h-parameters. sii terms are basically like input/output impedances of the port i (with a Moebius transform and normalization to characteristic impedance). sij are the transfer functions between ports i and j.

A "dB drop" is for sii tells you something about impedance mismatch, up or down stream. For a filter, mismatch reflection is another way of visualizing how a filter actually works. It's also the same as mismatching lumped impedances.

A "dB drop" for a transfer function (sij) is a measure of insertion loss for a passive component (0 dB or less) or gain roll-off for an active device. Translate the -11 dB to magnitude and ask your own question again. That's like a 0.23 x power transfer in magnitude.

It might be OK at a given frequency or if you are expecting such an insertion loss. If you device is a 10 dB pad/attenuator, then that would be about right.

You may want to look at this PDF (I'm one of the co-authors):

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.