Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S parameter G-S-G layout not grounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhma

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

What happened in passive device s-parameter measurement if the ground pad (GSG) in the layout not connected to the ground (for example some layer is missing)

Thanks in advance

ur GND path is not connect ,
so expect very strange S parameters !!!!!
u can simulate it on any EM tool ,
I have simulated GSG PADS with momentum and t gave very nice results

Khouly

Would it still possible to get the device s-parameter after de-embedding?

Thanks

khouly is right. Expect strange results. The amount of unpredictability would depend on a large number of factors, frequency, ability to characterize other parameters, etc. For a simple attenuator, yes. A more complex circuit...

it is a spiral inductor test structure. I forgot to connect the ground pad to the ground.

mhma said:
it is a spiral inductor test structure. I forgot to connect the ground pad to the ground.

Do you have a connection between the port 1 / port 2 grounds?

No connection

mhma said:
No connection

Then it will be very difficult to interpret measurements.
Your ground pads will have some capacitive coupling to the substrate, but that current return path in the substrate is high impedance and will dominate the overall results.

Status
Not open for further replies.