Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running a Synch Rect FET when off...so only its diode is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
We have got to run a messed up design of a 300W Synch Pushpull
(24vin 32vout 225khz )
Initially want to run it with the Synch FETs OFF, so we just use their internal diode.
What do you think the trr of the internal diode will be at 13A of current?
(The datasheet only gives it for 96A of current and its 250ns)

The FET is IPTG111N20NM3FD

Attached is the v and i across the diode from LTspice....i guess the "resetting magnetising current effect" is making it not have that much reverse votlage suddenly impressed across it when it turns off....aslo attached is the LTspice

Attachments

• Diode v and i.jpg
    Diode v and i.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 83
  • pupull300w_BAD.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Is this 96A through a diode that's built for it (per DS or guidance) or is this a diode that just happens to be there?

Current balance through device segments and metal branches that are not expected / advertised capable may not have been a design concern and hot spotting might be a prob. I'd think about some over-the-top testing w/ sample size to check margin-in-mode.

Thanks, the intrinsic diode is said to be capable of 108A of continuous current, as such, i didnt think that this diode could be of inferior quality

Status
Not open for further replies.