Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS485 - Effect of termination resistor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcon555

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the effect of termination resistor while using single slave unit?

Reading various posts in this topic i found that RS485 will work without terminating resistor, But if I add a terminating resistor in a single slave network, it stopped working. What is the reason for this and how to solve this.

I am using max485 for slave and usb-rs485 converter from ftdi for checking.

Thanks
MicroCon

What is the effect of termination resistor while using single slave unit?

Reading various posts in this topic i found that RS485 will work without terminating resistor, But if I add a terminating resistor in a single slave network, it stopped working. What is the reason for this and how to solve this.

I am using max485 for slave and usb-rs485 converter from ftdi for checking.

Thanks
MicroCon

The role of the termination resistor is to match the impedance of the transmission cable and reduce reflections. With this resistor in place, sometimes, the levels can be close to, or below the threshold level of the receiver. To fix levels issue you have to fit bias resistors, one between Vcc and (+), and one between GND and (-)..see attached picture..
There are also other things to keep in mind. 1st, on a short cables this resistor is not used. 2nd, the converters (usb-485) sometimes are designed in a doggy way and do not simulate true rs-485 transceiver..
:wink:
IanP

Attachments

• RS485 bias and termination.jpg
    RS485 bias and termination.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 129
Thanks for your interest..

The max485 which have fail safe build in. Is it necessary to bias it externally?

Does this biasing will have any effect on the network when it is used in large number of slaves, say 10 slaves?

Thanks again
MicroCon

Is it necessary to bias it externally?
Does this biasing will have any effect on the network when it is used in large number of slaves, say 10 slaves?

Biasing will only have positive effect on the network, regardless of how many devices are connected; it defines the correct dc-levels.
I'd suggest you connect the bias resistors together with the termination resistor at one place ...
:wink:
IanP

Thanks for your information. I'll test it and update with results

MicroCon

Status
Not open for further replies.