Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 to Syslog message

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombolone

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I need a small hardware device able to accept
rs232 data (i.e. manufacturing events) and send (through ethernet ports) syslog
message to a remote central managment system. The information collected
through rs232 should be translated into syslog format by the firmware.

Is it possible to build such device?

Thanks

I suggest using an RS232 to ethernet converter and doing the sysmon formatting on the server. Its your choice of where the conversion is programmed -- in one place in a high-level language, or in many places in a low-level language.

You can also use some of the PIC18's that have an ethernet MAC/PHY and uart.

I suggest using an RS232 to ethernet converter and doing the sysmon formatting on the server. Its your choice of where the conversion is programmed -- in one place in a high-level language, or in many places in a low-level language.

You can also use some of the PIC18's that have an ethernet MAC/PHY and uart.

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
Well actually i wanted to undestand how to develop it using a low-level language 'cause cannot access to the source code of the application
on the server.I would like to understand how I could start up the project for instance using flow-chart approach and listining all the necessary hardware elements.
:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back