Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 for remote operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

misha82

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi i have equipment which has a controller with RS232 comm card. i want to control this equipment from a distance of 150m thro' my desktop, which is not possible with RS232. can u suggest me how can i do this? pls suggest me some link where i can study abt it.
Thank u

so u need a wired connection ! you can build or buy ready made rs232 to rs485 converters, place one at one end and the other near your computer , its range is about 3000 feet!

u can search for the schematic or the ready-made converter !

thanks a lot.......... i have already done it and it working but m looking for other possible options......... can u tell me abt that....... but abt MIL-STD 1553?

thanks a lot.......... i have already done it and it working but m looking for other possible options......... can u tell me abt that....... but abt MIL-STD 1553?

Hi Misha if u want to use MIL 1553B then u r hardwire will change ,and in place of serial cable u need Twinax cables and terminator for the redundant bus and have to take care os your signal propagation delay in cable , its immuned voltage level,need to have a stub, there must have a system acting as BC , ....
so for simple data transmission in lower cost ...MIL 1553B is never preferred, mostly used in Avionics and Marine...as i m working for Marine , I knew this... now u also know ...:)

I have operated RS232 further than 150metres. However, make sure the voltage is -12volts to +12volts and it is good quality cable

hi horace

What was maximum Baud rate achieved ?

+++

can u tell how u have done it?

hi horace

I did not understand.
Had you used a continous 150m cable lenght, or had to attach the boost repeater refered above ?

+++

it was some time ago when most serial communication used 20 mAmp loop signaling for long distances.
It was RS232 without boosters but the interface had a good +-12 volt swing, similar with the mainframe we were talking too and the cable was good quality. These days I would use an alternative!

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.