Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Routing DC signals, isolated by solder mask only ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektr0

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

we have a three layer PCB process and I am wondering if I can route DC signals on the bottom layer, which is screwed to the mechanical housing (GND) and is isolated by standard solder mask only (I guess 1 micron ?). What do you think ? Thank you for your help.

Regards
-e

Although surely stronger than 1 µm, the solder mask isn't intended as electrical isolation.

Isn't it possible to place spacers between PCB and housing, e.g. nylon washers?

I had similar problem, for solution used piece of kapton adhesive tape in that area.

Thank you very much. The main problem is I cannot accept more height, but adhesive or <5mil nylon washers might work.
I will try ... Thanks -e

1 mil of kapton, so long as there are no sharp protruding ends sticking out, will withstand hundreds of volts. But in general, it is a poor engineering design to do so. why not add another board layer and be done with it?

I suppose if you were stuck, you could add a non-conductive coating to what the board is mounting too, in addition to the kapton. Mabe anodize the aluminum surface, etc.

5 mil washers will do NOTHING if the board flexes under vibration or if the board warps.

Thank you very much. The main problem is I cannot accept more height, but adhesive or <5mil nylon washers might work.
I will try ... Thanks -e
If you need heatsink properties, use 3M thermal adhesive tape with perfect smooth surface ( no burrs)
If you need Strong electromechanical insulation, use Polyamide tape (KAPTON) < best.

I would not trust washers, the board may bow downwards, and as its height critical I would go for a very thin sheet of insulating "stuff".

My choice would be thin sheet mylar.
Excellent insulating properties, very tough, and very heat resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back