Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunlar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been trying to figure out how to wire a rotary switch in my car and "call me thick" I am having a tough time figuring this out. I wondered if anyone has any tip or help could help me out.

What I need to perform...
I have 4 connections/positions:
1) An empty position lack of connections on other positions (that should be easy just don't add wires to that selection setting).
2) A normally open positive to positive connection that should be closed when position 2 is selected.
3) A normally open negative to negative connection that should be closed when position 3 is selected.
4) A normally closed positive to positive connection that should be closed when position 4 is selected.

NOTE: If 4 is too complicated that is an option, I consider would be nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

After researching this stuff I was thinking perhaps a "3 pole 4 way" rotary switch would fit my needs but can't figure out the details on that. At this point I was considering perhaps just getting a "3 pole 4 way rotary switch" and just playing with it to see if I could make it do what I wanted.

So if anyone has any advice for me on what I need, how to wire it, where to get the supplies I need, just about any information you would consider helpful, I would be very grateful.

The best thing to do is to put an idea on paper ..

From here, you can add another section, if the "positive" voltage in case-3 is not the same as the "positive" voltage in case-1, otherwise you can merge case-1 and case-3 in one [S1] ..
Below is an example ..
[S1] => case-1 AND case-3
[S2] => case-2

Rgds,
IanP

Thanks for the suggestion and the feedback. Sadly I have put it down on paper already and it didn't help with the part I am stuck on.

I fully comprehend the requirements to accomplish my goal its the behavior of the rotary switch and lack of technical knowledge on electronics that is killing me. In fact I have already done the necessary wiring inside the car. I currently have a half dozen wires running out from under the dash hooked up to 3 toggle switches to perform what I need.

I researched everything online for a while to get this far just to get an idea of what I needed and come up with the terms like "3 pole 4 way". Unfortunately no matter how many times I reread the wiki on rotary switches and the other scraps of information on them I just can't picture how it would work.

PS the voltage for case 1 and 3 are the same.

PS the voltage for case 1 and 3 are the same.

Then the diagram from my previous post should do the trick ..

Rgds,
IanP

I think a 3pole 4way switch would be way to much for this circuit. Why not use a SPST 4 way rotory? (Single pole Single throw)
Here is how I am reading your description:

Position 1: Open
Position 2: VDD is on
Position 3: VEE is on
Position 4: ??

I am a bit confused about Postion 4. This appears not to do anything but close an already closed postion. Did you mean: open a normally closed position?

If you do want the above combination to be on at the same time then the 3 pole would be correct.

Eda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…