Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary switch questions - Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunlar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been trying to figure out how to wire a rotary switch in my car and "call me thick" I am having a tough time figuring this out. I wondered if anyone has any tip or help could help me out.

What I need to perform...
I have 4 connections/positions:
1) An empty position lack of connections on other positions (that should be easy just don't add wires to that selection setting).
2) A normally open positive to positive connection that should be closed when position 2 is selected.
3) A normally open negative to negative connection that should be closed when position 3 is selected.
4) A normally closed positive to positive connection that should be closed when position 4 is selected.

NOTE: If 4 is too complicated that is an option, I consider would be nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

After researching this stuff I was thinking perhaps a "3 pole 4 way" rotary switch would fit my needs but can't figure out the details on that. At this point I was considering perhaps just getting a "3 pole 4 way rotary switch" and just playing with it to see if I could make it do what I wanted.

So if anyone has any advice for me on what I need, how to wire it, where to get the supplies I need, just about any information you would consider helpful, I would be very grateful.

The best thing to do is to put an idea on paper ..

From here, you can add another section, if the "positive" voltage in case-3 is not the same as the "positive" voltage in case-1, otherwise you can merge case-1 and case-3 in one [S1] ..
Below is an example ..
[S1] => case-1 AND case-3
[S2] => case-2

Rgds,
IanP

Thanks for the suggestion and the feedback. Sadly I have put it down on paper already and it didn't help with the part I am stuck on.

I fully comprehend the requirements to accomplish my goal its the behavior of the rotary switch and lack of technical knowledge on electronics that is killing me. In fact I have already done the necessary wiring inside the car. I currently have a half dozen wires running out from under the dash hooked up to 3 toggle switches to perform what I need.

I researched everything online for a while to get this far just to get an idea of what I needed and come up with the terms like "3 pole 4 way". Unfortunately no matter how many times I reread the wiki on rotary switches and the other scraps of information on them I just can't picture how it would work.

PS the voltage for case 1 and 3 are the same.

PS the voltage for case 1 and 3 are the same.

Then the diagram from my previous post should do the trick ..

Rgds,
IanP
:D

After researching this stuff I was thinking perhaps a "3 pole 4 way" rotary switch would fit my needs but can't figure out the details on that. At this point I was considering perhaps just getting a "3 pole 4 way rotary switch" and just playing with it to see if I could make it do what I wanted.

I think a 3pole 4way switch would be way to much for this circuit. Why not use a SPST 4 way rotory? (Single pole Single throw)
Here is how I am reading your description:

Position 1: Open
Position 2: VDD is on
Position 3: VEE is on
Position 4: ??

I am a bit confused about Postion 4. This appears not to do anything but close an already closed postion. Did you mean: open a normally closed position?

If you do want the above combination to be on at the same time then the 3 pole would be correct.

Eda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back