Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rogers 4003c substrate losses 50-70 Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salving

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody, could anyone give me an information about losses in rogers 4003c at frequency range 50-70 Ghz?

Uhh, honestly i think rogers 4003c is completely unsuitable for such frequency range. Losses of what? Microstrip ( ;-) ) or cpw? Better think about Rogers3000 etc.

Two ideas:
- ask Rogers
- loss curves are linear in dB vs frequency up to 20 GHz according to datasheets. For a first estimation, I would extrapolate it.

Thanks to all of you, i was interested of finding out loss tangent, but now i gotta measure one

Can you post your results?

I`ve made some device with Rogers 4003c at 40GHz. Hard to say but it worked quite well gain OK, Fn~ 4-5dB. It was frontend with Mimix-Brodband naked chip.

I`ve made some device with Rogers 4003c at 40GHz. Hard to say but it worked quite well gain OK, Fn~ 4-5dB. It was frontend with Mimix-Brodband naked chip.

Can you tell a little bit more about your pcb design. What kind of connector did you used? Transmission lines, CPW? I did not expected results at such frequency with rogers 4003.

8mill and main idea maximally fast covert 40GHz to a IF frequency, micro stripes was short, below may be 5mm. And waveguide adapter. I`ll find some photo, that is old story 10 years should be. And completely crazy story how I bonding Mimix chip with iron. I cant repeat any more that trick.

If you can post a pic, it would be great. And you used iron for bonding? Kind of wedge or ball bonding?

No it was tricky gold to gold soldering. Bonding machine for manufacturing appear later, when device was already checked.

Southwest Microwave did a nice write-up (advertising their connectors), 30mil Rogers 4350 50GHz
Search using: Optimizing Test Boards for 50GHz End Launch Connectors

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Here we are. Mimix Broadband on the Roger4003. 40GHz.

Attachments

• Snap8.jpg
    Snap8.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 137

A little bit hard to see something, but nevertheless quite impressive. Thanks!

If you will knowing in detail, you would impress much better. I`m still impressed as well ( after 10years ), how I made these design with nothing. Some bosses slept at these historical moment, but not for a long time. Then they wake up ( when It was dan ) and as usually no bonuses no champagne, nothing. Capitalismus brother.
If you seriously I can assist in detail. Strongly saying it is not right design, but it works. At first, chip directly connect with glue to the PCB without thermo compensated die ( titanium?) , but in these case was OK. PCB bondable gold with palladium.
Finally it was budget variant. Chip cost ~ 50$, PCB ~ 5$, amount less than 100$. But if we go to a microelectronics right configuration, instead PCB should be polikor, titan dies, eutectic and so on. The price will be on by 10.

Last edited:

Yes, more than 5 years ago, i did 40GHz point to point microwave telecomm, thanks to the simulated software, it looks my design much neat than yours.

Hi, Bob, sorry, you did a very good job without SMT, that is impossible for me in your situation.
For the probe, I had done a lot of simulation, so I did not do any error-and-try in the waveguide port.
And some de-coupling capacitors are differet from you.
In my hand, I don't have picture. Sorry again.

Here is only one significant cap from ATC, others newer mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back