Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As per my knowledge for ripple measurement, we need to use a tip and barrel probe because it has less loop area and the oscilloscope bandwidth
should be set to 20Mhz to avoid unwanted external noise pick-up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am going through the below article about ripple voltage measurement.

In paragraph 2nd of the Proper Measurement Techniques Using an Oscilloscope Probe,it says that " The loop created by the probe's
return path causes an inductance which can amplify internal noise and pick up external noise
"

I have 2 questions regarding this,

1)May I know how the loop inductance amplifies the internal noise?

2)For external noise pick up the loop acts as an antenna and picks up the noise. Please correct me If I am wrong.

Hi,

1) I´d say "amplify" is a bit misleading. I´d say it´s rather some kind of "resonance" that can increase the signal amplitude at certain frequencies.

2) generally yes. In my eyes there may be a second loop. The Ground loop. Especially when scope inputs are connected to earth ... and usually an SMPF also includes a capacitor from Earth to secondary. This is a bigger loop, often rather low impedance for high frequencies ... and is prone to add the switching noise of the SMPS to the measurement signal.

Klaus

Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…