Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ripple voltage measurement of SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As per my knowledge for ripple measurement, we need to use a tip and barrel probe because it has less loop area and the oscilloscope bandwidth
should be set to 20Mhz to avoid unwanted external noise pick-up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am going through the below article about ripple voltage measurement.

In paragraph 2nd of the Proper Measurement Techniques Using an Oscilloscope Probe,it says that " The loop created by the probe's
return path causes an inductance which can amplify internal noise and pick up external noise
"

I have 2 questions regarding this,

1)May I know how the loop inductance amplifies the internal noise?

2)For external noise pick up the loop acts as an antenna and picks up the noise. Please correct me If I am wrong.

Hi,

1) I´d say "amplify" is a bit misleading. I´d say it´s rather some kind of "resonance" that can increase the signal amplitude at certain frequencies.

2) generally yes. In my eyes there may be a second loop. The Ground loop. Especially when scope inputs are connected to earth ... and usually an SMPF also includes a capacitor from Earth to secondary. This is a bigger loop, often rather low impedance for high frequencies ... and is prone to add the switching noise of the SMPS to the measurement signal.

Klaus

Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back