Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID tag in the book

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcken

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I bought a book online, found two RFID tags in the book, please see attached the pictures
photo.JPG
I don't know lot of anything about RFID, feeling it's very interesting.
i am wondering how it works, is that a CMOS chip inside? how to ground and power up the chip? how the information is stored? what's the material of the antenna(seems like a paper)?
can anyone who is in this field give me some general knowledge about this?
Thanks!

I doubt those are RFID tags. It's more likely they are security tags, basically a tuned circuit that loads a low level RF field when it's placed nearby. They are commonly used near the exit of a store and trigger an alarm if one passes through an RF field to indicate the goods it is attached to are not paid for. At the checkout, the tag is placed in a very strong RF field which fuses a link and breaks the tuned circuit. This stops the tag operating he exit alarm.

Brian.

Hi Brian, thanks.
But I think it is a RFID tag, they came along with a shipment of the book. it makes no sense for security purpose.

More information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_article_surveillance

They are often fitted to books before they reach the store so it makes little difference whether they are purchased online or at the checkout. RFID isn't really a suitable technology for identifying individual books because they are serialized, each tag gets a unique number at manufacture so it isn't practical to use them to identify a book title. It would mean the retailer would have to maintain a huge cross reference list of tag numbers to book titles.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back