Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID Project - Uncertain of where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgeek37

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I've been very interested in RFID technology and the functional uses it provides. This is going to be my first real hands on project and I want to be able to demonstrate my device and results to my classmates.

Idea: Develop an RFID card reader with a detection range between 1-3ft, to collect and tranfer the data, either by automatically triggering an email or through bluetooth to a nearby workstation computer.

I haven't determined what idea to create but an example would be.. as a student walks through the classroom door and having already been issued a detectable card, it can automatically mark them as being in attendance for that day and/or automatically generate and email with homework assignments, notes, etc., only for the students who have shown up to class.

Another idea is to demonstrate the risk of RFID being inside of our credit and debit cards.

My questions are:

Which frequency should I look at.. 13.56mhz or the 125khz devices?
What proximity ranges can I expect to achieve, or what is necessary to achieve atleast a 1ft range?
What other parts and pieces are required to build this out?
I'm just starting to learn some coding skills, is there any opensource platform or direction you can point me in to get the reader to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Do you want to develop your own card reader?
Or do you want to us a reader and develop some software that manges the data transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back