Status
Not open for further replies.

LandLack

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I don't understand something about the amplifiers I'm using during my simulations with ADS; my circuit has a square signal which has been previously upconverted to 410MHz. I need to amplify this signal from -20 dbm to near 0dbm, so I use an amplifier. After the simulation, with "Harmonic Balance" (power amplitude-frequency) I see that the signal has really been amplified by about 18 dB (to -2.1dBm), but when I see the "Transient" result it is displayed that the amplitude of the voltage hasn't changed (it seems to have been decreased from 31mV to 27mV). Shouldn't power be (V^2)/R? Why can't I see a voltage amplification of (about) 10 if the power has been amplified by (about) 100 times?

Since the harmonic balance seems to confirm the datasheet values, I don't think that something in my schematic was wrong. I'm giving you the graphs obtained in an attached image.amplimm.png

An upconverted "square" signal will create a spectrum with two side bands. One should be rejected by a filter. Your "simulation" makes no sense at 410 MHz.

Reactions: wdwxn

wdwxn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
**broken link removed**
Sorry I had some difficulties in uploading the image

Like transistor, it,s the current that been amplified . not voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.