Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reverse engineering board

Status
Not open for further replies.

damian_s

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

does anyone know how to reverse engineering any populated board, so that I can make schematics and new pcb design from it?

thanks.

best regard,
damian_s

First in a PCB software (PCAD, OrCad etc) place the components (parts) as in the board, then make connection by carefully looking at the tracks. Then extract the netlist. In this way you have both PCB and netlist, then you can draw a schematic.

ENJOY!

then make connection by carefully looking at the tracks

Really???!!! What if is multi layer board? then one has to use Xray vision to see tracks inside inner layers???!!

Just answering for sake of answering results in nonsensical statements.

M

majnoon said:

Really???!!! What if is multi layer board? then one has to use Xray vision to see tracks inside inner layers???!!

Another option would be to buzz them out with a multimeter, although, of course the exact geometry of the traces will remain unknown. A 4-layer board can be done by eye, because the inner layers are probably power and ground planes.

majnoon said:

Just answering for sake of answering results in nonsensical statements.

M

In case if it is Multilayer board, then you have to check connectivity from point to point. I have reversed engineered many multilayer board. Xray is not useful option.

You can use powerfull light source and see through the layers. Often it can help.

RF-OM said:
You can use powerfull light source and see through the layers. Often it can help.

Yes some time, But when a (or two) layer (usually ground one) in the inner side have complete copper one can't see through, or some tracks hides behind a big copper track etc etc, the only way left for error free netlist is point to point checking. (its hectic but useful)

In case if it is Multilayer board, then you have to check connectivity from point to point.

Usually I work with 12 layers and up which has above 1200 nets and similar amount of components. I dread the thought of buzzing connections on these boards not mentioning I use B&B vias and VIP through out.

M

try to undersatnd the logic of board, then find components installed, andthen try to make connection on paper and compelete the project.:D

Hi
First of all , you must download datasheets of the components .
then read them carefully , specially application notes .
if some datasheets don't have application note , you must download some .
then choose the most important part of the board
and with the help of beep sound of a multimeter find connections
along side that open a schematic document in protel etc .
I advise you not to use a paper , do everything in schematic
one by one complete your schematic and don't matter
that the lines(tracks in schematic) are untidy , freely make lines (tracks)
at last you will make them tidy
then check everything and complete your schematic
finally ,
scan all layers (high quality)
use photoshop or illustrator (Ai) (illustrator is better than photoshop)
all coppers must be black and non copper parts must be white
so holes and via's must be white
use bmp2pcb software to make a pcb from your bitmap files(black and white file)
do the same thing for all layers , you could rub the top layer and
remove it to reach the next layer

at last place the componets from your schematic and find possible errors

NOW YOU HAVE DONE EVERYTHING

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back