Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Results-MonteCarlo simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccart07

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm trying to get the histogram of the offset of my comparator.
Does anyone could tell me why the plot in attachement just stay on the positive side ?

Thanks

Riccart

Because you have a systematic offset? What offset do you have from a 'typical' simulation?

Keith.

First of all, thanks Keith.

My typical offset is about 410 uV. In attachment, you will find out how I got it.
I don't have a systematic offset if I am referring on the definition of a systematic offset.

Hugues

I think the scale of your typical results is too coarse to show if there is a systematic offset. The histogram suggests there is a systematic offset of 400uV but you would not be able to see that on the typical graph you have shown - less than the thickness of the graph line. Try expanding that graph to see if there is a small offset (I assume there is).

Also, I would suggest you use a DC analysis for checking the offset, not a transient analysis, so you can separate out dynamic behavior from static behavior.

Keith.

The Graph in attachment is most clear.
I addition, the comparator works with two clocks so I can't do the DC sweep.
To compensate this situation, I am using a clock at 20 Mhz and the tr and tf of the input signal is slower.

Do you have any idea how I can measure this offset ?

OK, I see why you are doing a transient analysis. Your systematic offset is clear from that attachment BUT it raises another issue. You are sweeping your input signal at 50mV/us (differential). With a 20MHz clock the input will have moved 2.5mV between clock pulses - nowhere near slow enough to identify an offset as low as 400uV. You need to slow down the input sweep - just sweep from +1mV to -1mV over 10us, for example. Then reduce it further to make sure the results don't change.

Keith

Results-MonteCarlo simulation - Plots

Hi Keith,

In attached, there is a graph of my Monte Carlo simulation. Please, let me know if the result is normal because it's very different to the habitual form.
P.S. It's for 200 runs

Thanks

Hugues

Hugues,

Part of the problem is you have an "outlier" around 100uV which has increased the bin size so you only have 5 useful bins. So, it could be a skewed distribution but I am not sure you can be certain with 5 bins.

I think you can do one of three things:

1. find out why you have the outlier and fix it or

2. do a run of maybe 1000 to try and get more data in the -20 to +40uV area (I am not certain that will actually have the desired effect though).

3. manually set the bins to have more bins in the -20 to +40uV range.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back