Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing DC component of a signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc12

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
removing dc signal

Hi,

I want to normalize a signal and generate the power spectrum in matlab SP tool box. I used following command to normalize the signal.

=x1-mean(x1);

But, still there is very big DC components appears in the power spectrum. Can you please explain me how to eliminate this? Here I have attached a piece of my signal.

power of signal dc component

Can you please explain me little bit about using a lowpass filter? I have sent a sample of my data.

Best
cc12

spectrum dc component

=x1-mean(x1); is by definition exactly removing the DC component. However, after applying a window or cutting out part of the data, you'll see a non-zero DCcomponent again. It can't be "very big", absolutely.

power dc component

Hello!

To be accurate, mean(x) is a low pass filter.
x-mean(x) is a high pass filter.

The problem of moving average is that you cannot get a very sharp
response. Look here for more detail.
If you want a good filter quite simple to implement, sharp, etc..., you may
consider a 2nd order IIR.

Dora.

cc12 said:
Hi,

I want to normalize a signal and generate the power spectrum in matlab SP tool box. I used following command to normalize the signal.

=x1-mean(x1);

But, still there is very big DC components appears in the power spectrum. Can you please explain me how to eliminate this? Here I have attached a piece of my signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back