Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relaxation oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

double_ramp

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cmos relaxation oscillator

Hi,

I have to design a [cmos] relaxation oscillator. Can somebody please post a schematic?

Thx.

relaxation oscillator for low frequency

Hi,

can you please give us some specifications for your oscillator. I would guess that it is a low frequency oscillator (some MHz).
Does your oscillator be temperature independant ?

cmos relaxation oscillators

Hi,

yes, it should oscillate in a low frequency range, and should be temperature independent, too.

My actual design mainly looks like that:

https://www.ee.ucla.edu/~brweb/papers/Journals/BRMar96.pdf Figure 18a

With my design the problem is that it's very temperature dependent. For decreasing the frequency, I decrease the power of the oscillator which makes it temperature dependent. Now, I'm stuck with the problem at the moment.

Maybe has somebody a great idea and can post a picture or a link. It would be very helpful...

Thanks.

Your oscillator could not be temperature independent. The frequency is clearly dependent on the Vth of your MOS. The Vth will drift with temperature.
The only solution I know is using some voltage and/or current reference. But of course, that will increase your current consumption.

one suggestion i would give is to use RC in between one of the inverters. Be sure to pick 2 types of resistors (positive TC and negative TC) to cancel out the temperature coefficient. Although this is not completely temperature independent, it is a decent but not too complicated approach in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back