Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relationship between power and parallelism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhiverma812

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts,

I was curious to know how power (dynamic and static) are related to number of cores (parallelism) in CPU design.
I read somewhere that dynamic power favors multi-processing while static power favors uni-processing. However, I was not able to understand it.
Can someone throw light on this aspect.

Best regards,
Abhishek

The dynamic power is dependent of the frequency, then if you could parallelize your logic you could reduce the frequency.

My opinion,

Multiprocessor architecture - save dynamic power, by distributing the computation to several processing cores which is running at lower frequency (than the initial single core). For static power, it using the same library as is the initial single core, it could increase it because we add more processor.

single processor architecture - save static power because you only have single processor. while for the dynamic power, it is difficult to control/manage because we have to deal with the internal (microarchitecture) of the processor (not much can be done when compared with multiprocessor architecture).

Perhaps other members can provide more arguments.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back