Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relation between gravity and electromagnetic fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeran

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi;
I want to know is there any relation or joint between gravity and electromagnetic fields?
thanx

Yes. There was the famous verification of this 50+ years ago when the prediction of Albert Einstein about the sun changing the direction of the light that passes by was measured during a solar eclipse.

[edited part: I feel embarrassed for not reading the question in its full meaning. I jumped to the conclusion that the question was about how the two interacted and not if they were derived from some more basic source. We do not fully understand the physical universe. I have seen some postulations that magnetic fields are only the quantum mechanical result of electric fields. I suspect that some time hundreds of years into the future someone will discover that everything (including stock exchange prices and the dates when my car will not quickly start) are all related by a simple condition with incomprehensible boundary conditions.

peeran

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Sorry to disagree, Flatulent.

No, there is no proven relationship between gravity and electromagnetic fields. They have similar behaviour in that they both appear to obey the inverse square relationship for lield strength. That is where the similarity ends.

Gravitational effects occur between all matter, regardless of the constituent elements - it is not a force, but a distortion in space and time. Electomagnetic attration only exists between elements capable of generating or concentrating magnetic fields - i.e. ferrous materials, conductors carrying current, etc.

What Einstien predicted was the General Theory of Relativity, and that is what was proven by the observation that gravity does bend light. Einstein said that gravity is not a force which pulls on objects; rather it is a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of a nearby body. When an object comes along and moves past the body, it will appear to be pulled towards it, but in reality, it is actually moving along the curved space cause by the gravitational warping of the underlying "space-time" continuum. The relativistic effects that can be observed are such things as red shift of light that appears to an outside observer caused by the apparent decrease in energy of a photon traveling the curved space. The apparent bend in a beam of light is likewise the movement of the beam of light along the warped space caused by the massive gravity of a sun or other large celestial body.

The String and "M" theory looks promising to be "unified theory of everything" ....

There is also NOVA popular documentary called "Elegant Universe"

hxxp://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

As far as I know, these two are similar in behaviour, except for the strength, gravitation is MUCH, MUCH weaker strengthwise, bu the same principals apply.

Just to add to the mix here:

We know!
1) Like charges repel and opposites attract (EM Theory)
2) All the protons on an Atom a located in the center/nucleus(Anti-EM Theory)

How/why can this be true?
I have read it's due to the "STRONG GRAVITATIONAL" force/field.

So it does seem that there is some highly uncommon relation, and if you
can figure it out you will be a Genius/Billionair.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back