Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] register removal concern during XST operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

syedshan

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

recenlty I faced the message during synthesis that

INFO:Xst:2261 - The FF/Latch <flag_ddrtx> in Unit <Inst_tr_ctrl> is equivalent to the following FF/Latch, which will be removed : <refresh_dcycle>

Although it is just INFO, not a warning, so I should find this thing after synthesis, but when I tried to find find it to connect on chipscope signals, I cannot find it, meaning the signal has been removed during synthesis. Note that this is an important signal, hence I have to change the synthesis setting such that TURN OFF 'Equivalent Register Removal' hence later I got that signal, but I am concerned why it behaves like this, since the signal 'refresh_dcycle' is an important signal...following is one usage of it (which clearly shows it must not be removed, or else whole logic will be void...right?)

if(refresh_dcycle = '1') then
cmd_cnt <= (others =>'0'); cmd_finish_reg <= '0';
elsif(refresh_dcycle = '0') then
if(tr_cmd_val = '1' and tr_last_cmd ='0') then cmd_cnt <= cmd_cnt + '1';
elsif(tr_cmd_val = '1' and tr_last_cmd ='1' and cmd_finish_reg = '0') then
cmd_cnt <= (others =>'0'); cmd_finish_reg <= '1';
end if;

if(refresh_dcycle = '1') then
fetchcmdNadd <= '1';
--command signals
cmd_finish_reg_fetched <= '0';
app_en <= '0';
addr_fifo_rd <= '0';
add_reg <= (others => '0');
cmd_reg <= (others => '0');

bests
Shan

Is it a latch or a flip flop? (is this in a clocked process?)
XST Has determined that flag_ddrtx has the same behavior as refresh_dcycle and removed it.

Thanks for reply,

they both are flipflops, yes it is a clocked process working at rising edge.

Yes I understand it removed it, but the thing is refresh_dcycle is used to control other processes in ' if ' statement. So after removing it, will at gate level the flag_ddrtx will take its place since on the contrary, it seems XST removed refresh_dcycle and let flag_ddrtx there since I can see this signal after synthesis for chipscope trigger selection but not the refresh_dcycle.

XST just builds a load of logic and wires. It will connect anything that needs refresh_dcycle to flag_ddrtx instead. It can be annoying when this happens and you can no longer find the refresh signal for a timing constraint or similar so you sometmes have to watch for these warnings. You should also be able to apply constraints or attributes to stop XST doing the register merge.

hello

please see in following...

I have receivedFF/latch trimming message even after 'Equivalent Register Removal' deassertion...What to do
the thing is that my signal is multiplying by 4, what ever the value, so hence it has LSB 2 bits always '0'...but the XST categorically regect to synthesize it as a logic...Hence I think this will ultimately change the design as well...please see warning (infact error) and and code below

WARNING:Xst:1293 - FF/Latch <XY_plane_1> has a constant value of 0 in block <Inst_dout_module>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1293 - FF/Latch <XY_plane_0> has a constant value of 0 in block <Inst_dout_module>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.

Code:
signal sig_levels : integer range 0 to 1023;

process(clk)
begin
--rising_edge
if(xxx) then
 sig_levels <= siga * sigb * 4;
end if;

end process;

this sounds pretty normal. And Synthesisors are usually fairly good at keeping the same logic. I have never had one (only Quartus and Synplify mind) build logic that wasnt functionally correct.

As your design has a *4, there are bits that are always 0, so why does it need a register for them? anything connected to them will just be connected to 0. Hence why its a warning, and not an error.

yes actually I also think so as you said...so it means that my logic wont become from lets say 1600 to 400 or 40_000 to 10_000, right...It will be compared to same thing that I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back