Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Files vs SRAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricksanchez

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what are the difference between a register file and an SRAM.
How can I decide which one is best suited for a design.
can we use register files for both single- port and 2-port memories ?

SRAM ist accessed via address bus, one storage location at a time (or two in case of dual port) RAM. Registers can be read in parallel. You are posting in the ASIC section, do your libraries have SRAM macros?

Assuming register refers to standard MS-DFF, it can't be used in true dual port (dual clock) applications.

By register file I didn't mean MS-DFF .
I have 3 varients of the memory macros available from the memory compiler SRAM, ROM and register files .
The input/output ports and functionality of SRAM and Register file seems to be same.

Thanks. If the registers are wrapped as SRAM with address bus, I don't see a specific advantage of using registers.

A comparison -

Regards, Dana.

TSMC likes to call small fast memories "regfiles". They are still SRAM memories, just optimized for a different use case. They have single and dual port versions too.

By register file I didn't mean MS-DFF .
I have 3 varients of the memory macros available from the memory compiler SRAM, ROM and register files .
The input/output ports and functionality of SRAM and Register file seems to be same.
The bits cell are different.
Bits cell area: ROM < SRAM < Register
But some type of SRAM use register inside. These information can be found in user manual of memory compiler.

The register files have large memory cells compared with the small 6T memory cells. The register files do not use a sense amplifier which is large fixed silicon area overhead.
When you only need a small amount of memory the register file will be smaller and faster than the SRAM memory. When you need a large amount of memory the register file will be large and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back