Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding the Uart baud rate support in Spartan 3A FPGA (XC3S400A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

prakashvenugopal

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using Spartan 3A FPGA (XC3S400A). what was the Maximum Uart baud rate it can support?

I think you can go higher than anyone really wants with an asynchronous UART. I expect the maximum to be in the range 10-100 Megabaud, depending on the UART implementation.

A high speed UART can be appropriate as a simple interface between digital systems, e.g. using a LVDS IO standard. For the receiver, you'll need a sufficient oversampling ratio. I'm e.g. using a 40 MBps UART with factor eight oversampling. A suitable system clock is needed too.

When representing standard UART frequencies, there may be a problem to generate the right baud rates. But in FPGA design, you have all options like unusual overampling ratios and fractional frequency dividers. I designed e.g. a 115 kbps UART running from a low 6 MHz clock, using a factor 13 oversampling ratio.

Reactions: sanju_

sanju_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back