Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regarding synchronus buck DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumitj

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
har_namana

I have designed buck dc-dc converter in both asynchronous and synchronous mode. In asynchronous i am using diode in place of one mosfet. For asynch converter for large duty cycles it goes to discont mode and current through inductor becomes zero. For synh current through inductor reverses direction and does not become zero.

Does this mean that in synch mode converter does not go to discontinuous mode ??

That seems to be the case. I think the difference is in the voltage drop across the diode in the asych case and MOSFET in the synch case. Check out to see what these values are to see if they provide a clue.

Best regards,
v_c

you need a good power electronics book to answer your question because it seems like it is more of a basic question rather than a practical one.

it's called "forced continuous conduction mode". you can find it on almost all sync. buck converters that use external switches.

sumitj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.